Tuesday, February 20, 2007

You mean I didn't have to come to the library?

The good news is that people are reading the patent guide online before they come to do patent work. The bad news is that they might be confusing "A COMPLETE PATENT SEARCH CANNOT BE DONE VIA THE INTERNET USING KEYWORDS" with "You have to come to the library because you can't do this on your own computer at home." In the last few days, two people have quoted the former line when I tell them that Cassis is not up, but everything they need is on the USPTO.gov website. While I love the chance to explain the difference between keyword searching and using classifications, people don't seem to be pulling this out as a the salient point from our online guide. "Via the Internet" might be what's catching them. When I showed one person to the USPTO website, they said something like "but I can only get to this website from here, right?"

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I've had a few of these as well, although usually they're relieved that they can use their own computer. Could we take the Cassis information off of the handout? I've been here over 2 years and it hasn't ever been functional in that time. Perhaps a few updates as Deanna mentioned would be helpful as well.

Jules said...

I would like to take the conflicting information off the webpage search guide. I think the reason it's been left in is because eventually we will get a new Cassis set up (I believe). We have the DVDs but not a working machine into which to load them. (Chris can correct me if I'm off base here.)It's easy to take out and add back in when/if the time comes to do so.